To be a family that follows after God in all we do.
“…But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.”
– Joshua 24:15
Hello friends, family, and perhaps new friends!
We sat down to write this simple family vision last year, and since then God has challenged us in some big ways! Some of you know, but Andy and I have entered a wonderful season of our lives filled with ministry and calling.
To make a long story short(er), the last several months I (Andrea) have been on the job search. Praying and asking God that He open doors, close them, and direct me to the right place. In my finite mind I was convinced that I would return to working close to the world of refugee resettlement. When that fell through, not once but twice, I perused other options and was very excited about God using me in some other ways. I came close several times, but ultimately the jobs were always offered to someone else. At this point I was discouraged and frustrated. Since I stepped into an ESOL classroom eleven years ago I have felt called to work with the poor and marginalized, and yet the doors kept slamming shut. It was around this time I felt my heart stirring with the oh so scary thought… “maybe I am supposed to step into ministry more.” I was already a lead volunteer, but something in me told me that part of my job hunt was perhaps to run away from calling. As I was internally wrestling with these thoughts, not even wanting to mention them to Andy, my dad reached out to me after a frustrated Facebook rant (mine, not his) and told me that he felt God speak to him during his prayer time- that He wanted to give me a vision, not a job. As I told my pastors a couple days later, tears flooded me because it was as if I was finally letting go of my own box of aspirations and goals, and giving them to God.
Soon after that night I was so graciously offered the role of Community Director for Discover Life Church, and Andy the role of Creative Director. What do these roles do? Andy is the lead of the technical, production, stage/set design and video aspects of our church- basically everything Sunday service save for the music and the sermon.
And the Community Director? Well, I am stepping into leading what I believe are two vital parts for The Church:
- Outreach– which includes simply loving on people and evangelistically reaching out to our community in a variety of ways to share th gospel story and invite people into relationship with Christ and us.
- Life Groups– which oversees our small groups that are currently shifting to discipleship-focused groups. I want to pour into the leaders, encourage them, and share with them how to disciple and why I believe the church is called to make disciples and GROW Christ followers!!!
I am overwhelmed and excited at all that God is doing around us and in our lives!
Andy has also ventured into the non-profit world by creating Rise Above IT, an organization who desires to serve underprivileged youth and provide computers for any young person interested in furthering their knowledge of computer technology, particularly Mac products. As they are trying to find a school to begin this wonderful program, I also want to assist in any way I can by beginning to research and write grant proposals so that they can reach even more youth and have a greater impact!
If you feel lead to join us in this endeavor there are several ways you can be a part!
- Prayer! We need warriors declaring the promises of our Savior and that Andy and I continue to grow in wisdom, knowledge and favor for the kingdom of God.
- In-kind donations! Rise Above IT would love to use your used computers and computer equipment, to utilize in their classrooms or resale/recycle to support their programs.
- Financial support! As we step into this season on faith, we would appreciate monthly support for Andrea to be able to fully step into her Community Director role. While I firmly believe that I am being called to grow where I am planted right now, these are volunteer unpaid positions at this time. We are specifically asking for $25, $50 or $100 a month commitments for 12 months. But, you can give as little or as much as you feel lead! All donations are tax deductible and you can find the link on this site’s homepage.
Thank you so much for reading and considering partnering with us in some way.
WE LOVE YOU ALL!
The McMahons (Andy, Andrea, Gemma, Levi and Phoebe)
P.S. Stay up to date on what God is doing in our lives on our blog!